TOTAL MILL REFURBISHMENT
The facility previously owned by Weyerhaeuser Corp. in Cosmopolis, Washington was completely shut down in 2005. In 2010 the facility was purchased by a large private investor group with the intent of restarting and operating the facility by mid-2011. There had been virtually no preventative maintenance work at the facility for over five years. The facility was spread out over 100 acres, had four boilers, two steam turbines, pulp mill, and a paper machine that needed to be inspected, refurbished, commissioned, and started up. The mill was in very poor condition, and there were virtually no maintenance records available, and no existing mill personnel to talk to. Greenberry was not only tasked with being the prime general contractor for the project, but also taking the role of safety management for the entire facility, establishing safety policies, training programs, and implementation. We were also tasked with setting up a site security program.
- We touched approximately 85% of all equipment in the mill to perform start up checks
- Removed, rebuilt, and installed two 8 MW steam turbines
- Inspected and repaired all four boilers
- Inspected and repaired all manufacturing buildings (over 350,000 sf. under roof)
- Repaired over 60 tile tanks and chests
- Worked on 1,163 separate motors
- Removed and replaced 240 motors
- Removed and replaced 200 pumps
- Completely rebuilt 300 pumps
- Performed over 230 final mechanical alignments
- Repaired and replaced more than 60 gear boxes and agitators
- Rebuilt or replaced over 25 structures, platforms, and elevated platforms
- Worked on a total of 2,478 separate instruments
- Inspected, cleaned, and functionally tested all medium voltage switchgear. Any damaged items were repaired or replaced.
- Inspected, cleaned, and functionally tested all medium voltage transformers. Any damaged items were repaired or replaced.
- Inspected, cleaned, and functionally tested all medium voltage breakers were. Any damaged items were repaired or replaced.
- Start up support
- NW Construction Consumer Council 2011 Safety Excellence Award
- Project completed on time
- Project completed within budget